Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
Washington state legislature
319 new state laws kicking in today
Hundreds of new laws become effective in Washington state today - more than 300 in all.
What's so special about July 22nd?
It happens to be 90 days after the end of Washington's 2011 legislative session, which is the default date for all laws passed to become effective, unless otherwise specified. That's why the vast majority of Washington's new laws start today.
August 24th is the next big day in the year's legal history. That's the default effective date for laws passed during the special session that wrapped up at the end of May. We count 20 new laws in that category.
The Secretary of State's office maintains a list of all the bills passed in each session. It tallies a total of 373 bills that came out of the regular session this year. 50 passed the special session.
On the Web: