Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- Seattle Business Owners: $15 Minimum Wage Could Prove 'Possibly Fatal'
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- This, We Agree, Was The First-Ever Recorded Rock And Roll Song
News & Music Contributors
Then and Now
Thu December 5, 2013
80 Years after Repeal Day, How Wash. State's Cocktail Culture Has Changed
It was 80 years ago on Dec. 5 that Prohibition ended. But in Washington state, restrictions on alcohol were around long after Prohibition was repealed, and some remain in effect even today.
And while Repeal Day was cause for celebration, Seattle quaffers were awash in bootlegged booze long before liquor became legal again, thanks, in large part, to one crooked cop.