Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Seattle Business Owners Turn To An Unlikely Source Of Consultants: UW Undergrads
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
News & Music Contributors
Then and Now
Thu December 5, 2013
80 Years after Repeal Day, How Wash. State's Cocktail Culture Has Changed
It was 80 years ago on Dec. 5 that Prohibition ended. But in Washington state, restrictions on alcohol were around long after Prohibition was repealed, and some remain in effect even today.
And while Repeal Day was cause for celebration, Seattle quaffers were awash in bootlegged booze long before liquor became legal again, thanks, in large part, to one crooked cop.