Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
Achievement gap among Seattle black students
A new look at test scores by Seattle Public Schools shows American-born black students lag behind black immigrants in academic achievement.
The Seattle Times reports African-American students, whose primary language is English, perform significantly worse in math and reading that black students who speak another language at home.
District officials are pledging to find out what might be causing this disturbing trend.
The school district for years has analyzed test scores by race, but now is doing a more nuanced breakdown. The results were presented at a community meeting at Rainier Beach High School.