Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Listen: Can You Pick Out The Northwest Accent? (And Yes, We Have One!)
- Former Boeing Executive Alan Mulally’s Advice On Labor: 'Working Together Works’
- Tips On Staying Healthy While You Travel
- Mass: Expect Intensifying Rains With Global Warming
- Just Back From Spain, Nancy Leson Offers A Few Pointers On Paella
News & Music Contributors
Wed September 28, 2011
Agriculture Secretary promotes jobs plan in NW
PORTLAND – Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack was in Portland Tuesday to promote President Obama's American Jobs Act.
The bill aims to spur job growth by cutting payroll taxes for employers and investing in school and transportation infrastructure.
"All of these steps have been proposed in the past by Republicans and Democrats, so there is no reason why we can't get bipartisan support for these programs," Vilsack said.
Jeff Stone is the executive director of the Oregon Nurseries Association. He said he likes the bill because it puts money toward improving highways and roads.
The White House is expecting Congress to vote on the jobs bill next month.
© 2011 OPB