Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Agriculture Secretary promotes jobs plan in NW
PORTLAND – Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack was in Portland Tuesday to promote President Obama's American Jobs Act.
The bill aims to spur job growth by cutting payroll taxes for employers and investing in school and transportation infrastructure.
"All of these steps have been proposed in the past by Republicans and Democrats, so there is no reason why we can't get bipartisan support for these programs," Vilsack said.
Jeff Stone is the executive director of the Oregon Nurseries Association. He said he likes the bill because it puts money toward improving highways and roads.
The White House is expecting Congress to vote on the jobs bill next month.
© 2011 OPB