Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
News & Music Contributors
Evening Jazz Host
Sunday Side Up Jazz Host
Business and Labor Reporter
Online Managing Editor
Morning Edition Host
All Blues Host
Midday Jazz Host
Saturday Jazz Matinee Host
All Things Considered Host
Production Manager/ Jazz & Blues Host
Morning Edition Producer
Health & Science Reporter / Assistant News Director
Midday Jazz Host
Youth & Education Reporter
Law & Justice Reporter
A Blog Supreme
Fri November 18, 2011
Around The Jazz Internet: Nov. 18, 2011
Originally published on Fri November 18, 2011 3:21 pm
- "The lick." This is amazing. Also, Peter Hum on Canadian "cutting-edge jazz."
- Jazz at Lincoln Center will open a club in a $1 billion hotel in Doha, Qatar.
- Rehearsing The Blues is interviewing jazz journalists about "The Jazz Internet." First up is NPR Music comrade Josh Jackson of WBGO.
- Lewis Porter on jazz and film for WBGO. Pres teaches you how to make a pork pie hat.
- Howard Mandel meets the soldier who wrote jazz landscapes of Iraq. He first reported about Sgt. William Thompson IV for NPR in 2005.
- Amy Winehouse wanted to release a jazz record with ?uestlove of The Roots and British saxophonist Soweto Kinch, according to an AP story. Some of that will appear on a posthumous album. In tangentially related news, the new Roots album undun will feature a brief moment of pianist D.D. Jackson going nuts.
- Jamaaladeen Tacuma is one of seven Pew Fellows for 2012. Perhaps you know of the bassist's work with Ornette Coleman, including the record re-released this year, which features a (new?) Ornette tune.
- More on David Murray and his Nat King Cole en Español record, this time from the New York Times.
- JazzDIY has recently posted an interview with Todd Barkan of Dizzy's, the club at Jazz at Lincoln Center.
- On Cuneiform Records. (My way of admitting guilt that I can't be at Cuneifest.)
- RIP Jack McCray. RIP Andre Hodeir (old news, but noteworthy).
- So Killing, Man, dot-com. A site of transcriptions. You know the reference of the title, no?
- Destination: Out has posted some music from the new Juma Sultan box set.
- JazzWax spoke with Dick Hafer, a saxophonist who recorded with Charles Mingus.
- The Jazz Session spoke with pianist Joan Stiles and trumpeter Tim Hagans.
- The Checkout spoke to Hans Schuman of JazzReach and the editor of a new autobiography from Papa Jo Jones. Plus a studio session with saxophonist Ben Van Gelder.
Elsewhere at NPR Music:
- The Keith Jarrett interview.
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz this week features the Albert Dailey episode.
- JazzSet this week features the Mingus Big Band and Miguel Zenon + winds at Newport.
- The 1967 Miles Davis live box set is reviewed on Fresh Air.
- New albums from Pablo Aslan and Sao Paolo Underground also reviewed on Fresh Air.
Copyright 2011 National Public Radio. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.