Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
Benny Carter's "Peaceful Warrior Suite" by The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra
Highlights from a recent concert by The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra will air on Jazz Northwest from 88.5 KPLU on Sunday, April 8 at 1 PM PDT. The concert features music by jazz great Benny Carter and the centerpiece is "The Peaceful Warrior Suite" - a Tribute to the Rev. Dr.Martin Luther King. The five-movement suite includes excerpts from Rev.King's speeches, bass-baritone Everett Greene and a small string section with The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra, co-directed by Clarence Acox and Michael Brockman.
This concert was recorded on March 4 at Kirkland Performance Center and was one of a series of pairs of concerts celebrating the big band jazz tradition from the 30s to the present. The next pair of concerts on April 21 and 22 will focus on modern compositions by Seattle area composers. Details are available at srjo.org .
Jazz Northwest is recorded and produced by Jim Wilke exclusively for 88.5 KPLU and streamed at kplu.org. A podcast is available after the airdate.