Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
Boise State football goes Big East
Boise State University’s football program joins the Big East in 2013. That’s the official word from league and university officials today .
After weeks of speculation, Boise State University will join a football conference that spans four time zones.
Money is a primary driver for the switch from the Mountain West to the Big East.
Upcoming television contract negotiations will likely give each Big East team millions of dollars according to Boise State University President Bob Kustra.
"$6 million was always used as the floor and then going up to perhaps anywhere from $10 million to $12 million depending on who’s at the table in September of 2012."
Most of Boise State’s other sports programs will join the Western Athletic Conference.
Other additions to the Big East in 2013 are Central Florida, Houston, San Diego State, and Southern Methodist University. Boise State and San Diego State will be football-only members.
Copyright 2011 Boise State Public Radio