Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
Record Bin Roulette
The CD, in memoriam
It's a sign of the times for the lowly CD: Sony closes a huge CD manufacturing plant, and the same week the band Cake sells a dismal 44,000 copies, the lowest ever for a number one album.
Downloads and file sharing are undeniably edging out the Compact Disc. So, in memoriam, we offer a retrospective of the short but flashy career of the venerable CD.
- Why is a CD 74 minutes?
Because it was decided that Beethoven's 9th Symphony should fit on one disc.
- The very first CD ever released in the US?
Billy Joel's 52nd Street.
Episode #102 of Record Bin Roulette features guest appearances from Def Leppard, Michael Jackson and The Eagles.