Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
News & Music Contributors
Food for Thought
Wed June 5, 2013
Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
As I tell Nancy Leson in this week's Food for Thought, I have had an iceberg lettuce epiphany. A voice whispered, "Slice it horizontally."
Here's the deal: Instead of cutting the lettuce in the usual wedges, Perelman slices it horizontally, then stacks the layers, drizzling each with blue cheese dressing. Top with 1/4-inch diced celery and radishes, maybe some bacon or pancetta, and have at it.
Deb Perelman's Smitten Kitchen blue cheese dressing recipe:
1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 ounces crumbled firm blue cheese (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
Blend buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth. Add blue cheese and pulse until cheese is incorporated but dressing is still slightly chunky. Transfer to a bowl and stir in chives. Makes about 1 1/4 cups of dressing.
Flame away, lettuce snobs, but I'm making this one as soon as I get home.
"The embarrassing thing is that the salad dressing is out-grossing my films."
– Paul Newman