Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Erratic driver flees, killed in log truck crash
An erratic driver who sped away from Spokane County, Wash., deputies even after a tire was flattened by a spike strip finally collided with a loaded log truck and was killed.
Spokane police Officer Teresa Fuller says sheriff's deputies located the red Ford Taurus on Monday after several 911 calls from citizens about an erratic driver southbound on Highway 395 near Deer Park. The driver fled from one deputy, hit spike strips deployed by the Washington State Patrol, then kept going despite a flattened right front tire.
About a mile farther on, the unidentified driver crossed into the oncoming lane and collided with the log truck. The Taurus driver was dead at the scene; the truck driver was unhurt.
Fuller says the county sheriff's office, State Patrol and Spokane police will investigate.