Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Life in the Northwest
Fee hike for climbing Mt. Rainier
The priceless experience of climbing Mt. Rainier will cost you an extra $13 this year. Rainier National Park officials are now charging $43 for a climbing pass for adults over the age of 25. Climbers 24 and younger get a $30 youth rate. The new rates are effective immediately. Passes are good for one year.
Rainier is very popular with mountain climbers. Approximately 11,000 people scale the 14,411-foot Cascade volcano each year. The last time the climbing fees were increased was back in 2003. The fees help pay for ranger salaries and maintenance of climbing routes and camp sites.