Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
News & Music Contributors
GMO food labeling
Mon September 16, 2013
First TV Ads in Fight over GMO Food Labeling Initiative
The first television ads have aired in the battle over a statewide initiative that would mandate the labeling of genetically engineered foods.
Opponents and supporters of Initiative 522 rolled out TV spots Monday morning in campaigns that are expected to cost millions of dollars.
The Yes on 522 campaign has raised $3.4 million with the largest donation from Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps. Opponents have raised $12.1 million with large checks from Monsanto and DuPoint Pioneer.
The initiative before voters November would require food and seeds produced entirely or partly through genetic engineering and sold in Washington state to be labeled as such.
Supporters say consumers have the right to know what's in the food they are buying. Opponents say the measure provides misinformation and is going to increase grocery costs.