Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- Seattle Business Owners: $15 Minimum Wage Could Prove 'Possibly Fatal'
- Seattle Artist Turning Centuries-Old Pieces Of Wood Into One-Of-A-Kind Sculptures
News & Music Contributors
Mon September 10, 2012
Former Dean of the UO School of Music is Murdered
The former dean of the University of Oregon School of Music was killed Friday along with her boyfriend. Lane County Sheriff's deputies responded to a 911 call at their home south of Eugene and found Anne Dhu McLucas and James Gillette.
Anne Dhu McLucas was an author and semi retired professor of ethnomusicology. She was also an avid hiker and skier. U of O Assistant Professor of Music Marian Smith says McLucas was her colleague and friend.
Smith: "And I knew her as a scholar. She was a brilliant scholar. I knew her as a teacher. She was a wonderful teacher. She was a doting grandmother. She had three little grandchildren in Boston. And she leaves so many gaps because she lived so many lives and she will be missed by so many people."
McLucas was 71. Her boyfriend James Gillette was 73. Gillette's 37-year old son Johan Gillette has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder. The Lane County Medical Examiner has yet to release the cause of death.
Copyright 2012 KLCC.