Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
GOP Senate hopeful latest to endorse legal pot
The campaign to legalize and tax marijuana for adults in Washington state is rolling, with more than $1 million in new contributions reported since last week and a surprising endorsement from Republican U.S. Senate hopeful Michael Baumgartner.
The money is mostly from retired Progressive Insurance founder Peter Lewis and means Initiative 502's backers have raised nearly $4.1 million over the course of the campaign, with $1.2 million left to spend. Alison Holcomb, campaign manager for New Approach Washington, says her group is planning a broader television campaign.
Meanwhile, Baumgartner's decision to endorse the initiative Wednesday gave the campaign one of its highest-profile Republican supporters yet. Baumgartner is running a longshot bid to unseat Democratic U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell, who came out against the initiative Wednesday afternoon.