Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- Seattle Business Owners: $15 Minimum Wage Could Prove 'Possibly Fatal'
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- This, We Agree, Was The First-Ever Recorded Rock And Roll Song
News & Music Contributors
Washington State Legislature
Fri March 2, 2012
GOP senators take control of Washington Senate
Originally published on Fri March 2, 2012 12:00 am
GOP Senators Take Control Of Washington Senate
copy for now March 2, 2012 Austin Jenkins/cf
OLYMPIA, Wash. - It's been a day of high drama in the Washington state Senate. Republicans took control of the chamber with the help of three Democratic colleagues. Senate Republican Leader Mike Hewitt told reporters that GOP Senators, in his words, "unlocked the gridlock" over the state budget. Earlier, Democratic budget writers said they were one vote shy of passing their proposal to plug a gap in the state's two year spending plan.
Senate Democratic leader Lisa Brown blasted Republicans for bringing a GOP-backed budget to the Senate floor without any time for review or amendments.
Copyright 2012 Northwest News Network