Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
Green thumb? Washington state looks for pot consultant
Wanted: A green thumb with extensive knowledge of the black, or at least gray, market.
As Washington state tries to figure out how to regulate its newly legal marijuana, officials are hiring an adviser on all things weed: how it's best grown, tested, labeled, and cooked into brownies.
Those angling for the job are expected to meet Wednesday in Tacoma with state bidding experts to discuss the requirements and hiring process.
Officials reserved a convention center hall that fits 275 people — plus an overflow room.
Last fall, Washington and Colorado became the first states to pass laws legalizing the recreational use of marijuana and setting up systems of state-licensed growers, processors and retail stores.
Adults over 21 can buy up to an ounce of heavily taxed cannabis.