Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
Kennedy Center HOnors
Thu September 12, 2013
Herbie Hancock to Receive Kennedy Center Honors
Jazz legend Herbie Hancock is among four musicians who will receive this year's Kennedy Center Honors, along with actress Shirley MacLaine.
The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts announced the selections Thursday. The honorees also include Billie Joel, Carlos Santana, and opera star Martina Arroyo.
The award is the nation's highest honor for those who influence American culture through the arts. President Barack Obama hosts the honorees at the White House, and Secretary of State John Kerry hosts a dinner in their honor.
Top entertainers will salute the honorees in a gala performance Dec. 8 to be broadcast Dec. 29 on CBS.
This is the first year of a revised selection process after a group last year said the Kennedy Center had long excluded Latinos from the prize.