Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
Record Bin Roulette
'Hi-Ho' and other songs that lead the way on Labor Day
It's a shame that the only thing a person can do for eight hours a day is work. Can't eat for eight hours; can't drink for eight hours; can't make love for eight hours. The only thing a person can do for eight hours is work.
So it makes sense that we would have a national holiday dedicated to work and working people, and an episode of iconic and quirky worky songs.
Some of the hardest workers in show-biz have to be the Seven Dwarfs. These guys were always busy doing something and loved to sing about it:
Another mining song, this time it’s coal with Tennessee Ernie Ford:
One of the most beloved working classics has to be Harry Belafonte and “Day-O”, or “The Banana Boat Song”:
Not to be missed is this rare animation of Stan Freberg’s 1957 parody of “Day-O”: