Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Seattle's Underground Sex Economy Explained, In Five Points
- Why Jazz Fans Shouldn't Be So Quick To Dismiss Pop Music
- 5 Things A Local Journalist Wishes He Knew Before His Wife's Alzheimer's Diagnosis
- Washington's 'Pot Czar' Says Legal Marijuana Could Be Too Cheap
- Washington's 'Swift And Certain' Parole Reforms Getting Results And Attention
News & Music Contributors
National Guard equipment
Thu July 25, 2013
Inslee Seeks Modern Equipment for Guard Brigade
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee is seeking more modern equipment for a National Guard brigade in the state.
Gov. Jay Inslee asked national officials Thursday to convert the 81st Armored Brigade Combat Team to a Stryker brigade. That shift would give the National Guard updated equipment that may have previously been used in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Inslee says the old tanks being used by the 81st are too heavy to use on roads during emergencies, such as earthquakes and floods.
The governor's office says there is currently only one National Guard Stryker brigade in the country.