Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
Food for Thought
It's Allium sativum time
In this Food for Thought I had a lot of fun lording it over Nancy Leson about my garlic garden.
I put 'em in the ground eight months ago and now my long wait is almost over. I'm harvesting over 90 garlic plants sometime within the next week or so. Unless you've had fresh garlic you just can't imagine how much better tasting it is than the stuff you get in the store.
I see all sorts of gizmos in supermarkets and cooking gear stores for peeling garlic. Garlic peelers? You don't need no stinkin' garlic peelers. Just lay the flat of a broad bladed knife over the clove and give it a good thump with your fist. You'll be able to peel the paper right off. Get your hands wet first and it won't stick annoyingly to your fingers.
"With enough garlic you can eat the New York Times."
-- Morley Safer