Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 'We Don't Know Each Other': Film Explores Tension Between Africans & African Americans
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- Washington Secretly Competed For Tesla ‘Gigafactory' Worth Thousands Of Jobs
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
News & Music Contributors
Jazz and Blues
Mon May 12, 2014
It's KPLU School Of Jazz Week!
KPLU School of Jazz-Volume 10 (physical CD) is available for purchase here - or order a digital copy below.
KPLU celebrates ten years of School of Jazz, our outreach program that pairs Western Washington high school jazz bands with professional jazz mentors, culminates in the recording of a CD, and helps raise money for the schools' music programs.
KPLU has designated May 12-16 as KPLU School of Jazz Week with special programming to commemorate the release of the KPLU School of Jazz-Volume 10 CD. You can purchase the CD and find out more about School of Jazz at schoolofjazz.org.
Three-Part Series: School of Jazz Week kicks off with "How I Came to Jazz," a three-part series about the defining moments leading to the discovery of jazz. In Part One on Monday, May 12, KPLU Morning Edition host Kirsten Kendrick talks to jazz reporter Jason Parker about his own defining moment. In Part Two on Tuesday, May 13, Jason introduces us to one of the Northwest's young jazz performers, Lynnwood High School Jazz Ensemble alto saxophonist Monique Khim. In Part Three on May 14, Jason interviews long-time Northwest pianist and elder statesman of jazz, Overton Berry. The series airs at 6:30 and 8:30 a.m. each day on Morning Edition, and later on All Things Considered.
Student Guest DJ's: KPLU has invited five of this year’s student participants to program and present an hour of music from 8-9 p.m. during Evening Jazz with host Abe Beeson.
- May 12—Mount Si High School Jazz 1 drummer Zach Tidwell
- May 13—Tumwater High School Jazz Ensemble pianist Adam Dougherty
- May 14—Lynnwood High School Jazz Ensemble 1 trumpeter Kaleb Decker
- May 15—Bothell High School Jazz 1 alto saxophonist Zach Hill
- May 16—Newport High School Jazz Band trombonist Matt White
Student photos and their playlists will be available at schoolofjazz.org. If you're a student musician, we want to hear from you! Go to the School of Jazz page and tell us what five jazz songs you'd put on your radio playlist. Abe Beeson will read some of them on Evening Jazz this week.
Live performance: Tune in Friday, May 16 at 12:15 p.m. for a live studio session with students from Bellevue High School Jazz Ensemble 1 and band director Edd George, performing with their professional mentor, trombonist David Marriott, hosted by Abe Beeson.
Check out the KPLU School of Jazz Facebook page for photos from this year's CD recording sessions and information about the participating high school jazz bands.