Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
Jazz and Blues
Thu April 25, 2013
Jazz Caliente celebrates Jazz April, part 2
Jazz April birthday celebrations continue on Jazz Caliente!
April 28: Saxophonist, trumpeter, composer and arranger Mario Bauza was a collaborator with Dizzy Gillespie and Chano Pozo in the development of "Cu-bop," a blend of Afro-Cuban music and be-bop. Bauza was also well known for his work with Machito and his Afro-Cubans, a ground-breaking orchestra that also fused jazz and Afro-Cuban dance rhythms.
April 29: A student of the great Hubert Laws, flutist Dave Valentin tells the story of taking up flute in order to impress a girl. The girl didn't stick around, but the flute became his instrument of choice. Aside from being a great performer and recording artist, he has taught Latin Jazz to inner city kids through an after-school program called Change Through Music. He was a full-time professor teaching Latin and music for several years. Dave at one time had 5 cats, named Mambo, Cha-Cha, Bomba, Plena and Bolero.
Jazz and Blues