Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Jazz Northwest for February 18
Esperanza Spalding grew up in Portland, and one her mentors was trumpet player and educator Thara Memory. The two were reunited on stage at the 55th Grammy Awards as they were awarded a Grammy for their co- arrangement of "City Of Roses" named for their hometown, Portland, OR. The song is one of the originals on Esperanza Spalding's latest CD, "Radio Music Society" which also won a Grammy for Best Jazz Vocal Album. The song is one of the features on this week's Jazz Northwest.
Also featured on this show are some new and slightly twisted versions of jazz classics, a few nominees for Earshot’s Golden Ear Awards, news about this week’s Portland Jazz Festival and other live jazz around the Northwest. Jazz Northwest is hosted by Jim Wilke and is heard exclusively on 88.5 KPLU each Sunday at 2 PM and also available as a podcast at kplu.org after the broadcast.
Next week (2/24), highlights from a concert by flugelhorn player Dmitri Matheny's Quartet recorded at the Seattle Art Museum.