Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
Jazz Northwest for February 18
Esperanza Spalding grew up in Portland, and one her mentors was trumpet player and educator Thara Memory. The two were reunited on stage at the 55th Grammy Awards as they were awarded a Grammy for their co- arrangement of "City Of Roses" named for their hometown, Portland, OR. The song is one of the originals on Esperanza Spalding's latest CD, "Radio Music Society" which also won a Grammy for Best Jazz Vocal Album. The song is one of the features on this week's Jazz Northwest.
Also featured on this show are some new and slightly twisted versions of jazz classics, a few nominees for Earshot’s Golden Ear Awards, news about this week’s Portland Jazz Festival and other live jazz around the Northwest. Jazz Northwest is hosted by Jim Wilke and is heard exclusively on 88.5 KPLU each Sunday at 2 PM and also available as a podcast at kplu.org after the broadcast.
Next week (2/24), highlights from a concert by flugelhorn player Dmitri Matheny's Quartet recorded at the Seattle Art Museum.