Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Listen: Can You Pick Out The Northwest Accent? (And Yes, We Have One!)
- Former Boeing Executive Alan Mulally’s Advice On Labor: 'Working Together Works’
- Tips On Staying Healthy While You Travel
- Mass: Expect Intensifying Rains With Global Warming
- Just Back From Spain, Nancy Leson Offers A Few Pointers On Paella
News & Music Contributors
Sun June 22, 2014
Jazz Northwest: June 22, 2014
This show comes from Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, where we recorded Chris Amemiya's Jazz Coalescence at the 14th Annual Jazz at the Labs, a benefit for the FridayHarbor Labs K-12 Science Outreach Program. Although well-known as a trombonist in the jazz community, Dr.Amemiya is by day a research biologist at the Benaroya Research Institute and a full professor in the Biology Department at The University of Washington.
The Friday Harbor Labs are on a 484 acre biological preserve on the North side of Friday Harbor and well located for research on many aspects of marine biology and oceanography. It’s a fascinating place to visit, and very friendly to visiting jazz musicians and fans. This concert by Jazz Coalescence features some of Seattle’s best: Chris Amemiya on trombone, Jay Thomas on trumpet and saxes, John Hansen at the piano, Jon Hamar on bass and Steve Korn on drums. Kelley Johnson will also be heard in a few songs.