Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- Seattle Business Owners: $15 Minimum Wage Could Prove 'Possibly Fatal'
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- This, We Agree, Was The First-Ever Recorded Rock And Roll Song
News & Music Contributors
Fri February 25, 2011
Joy riders damage Tacoma parks
Vandals have damaged the Jane Clark Park sports field in Tacoma. Officials won't know exactly how bad the damage is until they can test the irrigation and drainage systems in the spring. It appears a 4x4 vehicle left deep ruts running from one end of the field to the other.
The park had recently been upgraded as part of the 2005 Park Improvement bond measure. Joy riders also ripped up half a dozen other Tacoma parks this week.
“It’s so senseless,” said park maintenance supervisor Ron Peart. “The damage they’ve done will affect a lot of people and they probably did all of this for just a few short minutes of entertainment.”
Other parks hit by joy riding vandals this week include Wapato, Alling, Brown Point Playfield, Jefferson, Franklin and Vassault.