Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
News & Music Contributors
Mon July 18, 2011
Lake Stevens hiker dies in weekend fall
A 55-year-old Lake Stevens man died over the weekend when he fell from a ridge in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness west of Leavenworth.
The Chelan County Sheriff's Office says the accident happened Saturday when Thomas Vietti was traversing a ridge on the west side of the lake. He apparently lost his footing as he was maneuvering around a large rock.
The Wenatchee World reports Vietti was hiking with his brother, John Vietti. The brother hiked down and attempted resuscitation but that were unsuccessful. The accident happened in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness west of Leavenworth. The scene is below Big Jim Mountain.
Because of heavy clouds, wind and rain, a search and rescue team was unable to reach the body until Sunday morning.