Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- Join Dick Stein And Nancy Leson For A Food For Thought 'Happy Hour'
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
Thu May 12, 2011
Lakewood gang sweep
Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist has charged eleven people with gang-related crimes. The defendants are all alleged to be members or associates of the Tillicum Park Gangsters, also known as the TPG. The Lakewood Police Department says the TPG is a criminal street gang associated with the Tillicum neighborhood of Lakewood.
According to the Pierce County Prosecutor’s office, members of the TPG have committed numerous crimes in the Tillicum community, including murder, drive-by shootings, narcotics trafficking, weapons violations, and witness intimidation. At least 12 other TPG members have been sent to prison over the last five years, the majority for violent crimes.
Lakewood Police Chief Bret Farrar says the arrests were the result of interdepartmental cooperation:
"This gang sweep was successful due to the combined efforts of local law enforcement, federal law enforcement, and the Prosecutor's Office. The investigation was effective and well managed because of a dedicated Gang Unit in the Prosecutor’s Office that worked closely with law enforcement."
The 11 current defendants are charged with Unlawful Delivery of a Controlled Substance, and two are also charged with Robbery in the First Degree with firearm enhancements. Eight are in custody; police are searching for the other three.