Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 2 Recipes To Turn The Season's Cucumbers Into Crisp, Appetizing Pickles
- Seattle Scientists Find Brain Area Linked To Motivation To Exercise
- 'The Easiest, Most Delicious Thing To Do With Corn' That Nancy Leson Has Ever Tasted
- Wash. Attorney General: If You Like Legal Marijuana, Support Local Pot Bans
- Home Canning Hobby Leads to Near-Fatal Medical Emergency
News & Music Contributors
Food for Thought
Wed March 6, 2013
Make perfectly puffed skillet pitas
You don't need an oven to make great flatbread. You can do it all in a skillet right on top of your stove. Here's how:
I've been making pitas for years but it never occurred to me to try it without an oven. My Food for Thought pard, Seattle Times food writer Nancy Leson got this recipe for skillet flatbread from a friend who developed it while traveling the world in a small foot sailboat. Even if you don't think of yourself as a baker, this recipe is really easy to do. And best of all you can leave the oven off.
I've had great success with Alton Brown's recipe for home made gyro meat. That's what I'll slip into the pocket when I make those stovetop flatbreads. What's your pfavorite pita pfilling?
"I like reality. It tastes like bread."
– Jean Anouilh