Most Active Stories
- Mass: 'Extensive Lowland Snow' Likely Friday Morning
- Organic Milk More Nutritious than Regular Milk, WSU Study Finds
- State Officials Seize Cold Snap, Freeze Out Invasive Snails In Capitol Lake
- The Life Of A First-Year Teacher, In Six Emotional Stages
- 5 Tips to Help You Look Better on Skype, FaceTime
News & Music Contributors
Food for Thought
Wed March 6, 2013
Make perfectly puffed skillet pitas
You don't need an oven to make great flatbread. You can do it all in a skillet right on top of your stove. Here's how:
I've been making pitas for years but it never occurred to me to try it without an oven. My Food for Thought pard, Seattle Times food writer Nancy Leson got this recipe for skillet flatbread from a friend who developed it while traveling the world in a small foot sailboat. Even if you don't think of yourself as a baker, this recipe is really easy to do. And best of all you can leave the oven off.
I've had great success with Alton Brown's recipe for home made gyro meat. That's what I'll slip into the pocket when I make those stovetop flatbreads. What's your pfavorite pita pfilling?
"I like reality. It tastes like bread."
– Jean Anouilh