Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
News & Music Contributors
Fri February 21, 2014
Mayor: Seattle To Stay On Weekly Trash Pickup Schedule
Seattle will not switch its trash pickup schedule to every other week following an unpopular pilot program.
Mayor Ed Murray asked the Seattle City Council to shelf the proposed plan and keep the city on its current weekly pickup schedule.
Seattle tested the program in four different neighborhoods last year with the goal of reducing the number of garbage trucks on the road and increasing recycling. The mayor said his decision was mainly based on concerns over potential hardship a switch may create for some residents.
The pilot program was modeled after Tacoma, Olympia and Portland, which already collect every other week. But satisfaction with garbage service declined in the pilot program in Seattle.