Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Why Seattle Homeless Advocates Feel Vacant Downtown Building Is Rightfully Theirs
- UW Study Examines New Ways To Involve Immigrant Parents In School Activities
News & Music Contributors
Mon May 23, 2011
Monday morning's headlines
Partly sunny Tuesday, slight chance of showers - high 59. Latest forecast here.
Making headlines around the Northwest:
- State Leaders Reach Key Deal on Workers' Comp Changes
- Teen Sought in Auburn Shooting That Killed Boy, 17
- Gas Prices Down 5-Cents in a Week
- Mariners Win 5th Straight
Legislature Reaches Deal on Workers' Compensation
Washington lawmakers say they have reached an agreement on how to overhaul the state's workers' compensation system.
Governor Chris Gregoire and leaders from both parties said Sunday night that they've finally agreed to a plan to offer limited settlements to older workers who get injured. They believe the settlements will help improve the financial health of the system and save more than $500 million in the next four years.
Lawmakers had been struggling for days to find a compromise on workers' compensation. They now hope to pass the bill as early as Monday, helping clear passage for a new state budget.
The agreement is already drawing opposition from a labor advocates who say the deal is bad for injured workers.
Teen Sought in Auburn Shooting That Killed Boy, 17
A 16-year-old boy is wanted for a shooting in Auburn yesterday afternoon that killed a 17-year-old and wounded two other people.
Police say the two teens had a dispute over a girl. The 16-year-old and friends showed up at an apartment complex where the 17-year-old and friends were having a barbecue.
Police arrested four people and believe they have one of the shooters.
Gas Prices Lower Heading into Memorial Day Weekend
AAA reports the average price of a gallon of gasoline in Washington is $3.98. That's down a nickel in a week and 98 cents higher than a year ago.
Some metro prices:
- Bellingham $4.04
- Bremerton $3.99
- Seattle-Bellevue-Everett $4
- Tacoma $3.95, Olympia $3.98
- Vancouver $3.94
M's Sweep Padres; on a 5-Game Roll
Felix Hernandez put a giant exclamation point on a rousing weekend for the Seattle Mariners. Hernandez tied his career high with 13 strikeouts and the Mariners completed a three-game sweep with a 6-1 win over the San Diego Padres on Sunday.
"I felt like he was throwing the ball as good as we've seen this year for a good portion of the game," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said. "He kind of had to grind through it the last couple of innings."
The M's are in Minnesota tonight to play the Twins.