Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
More cracks in new pontoons for Seattle bridge
The Washington Transportation Department says more cracks have been found in pontoons under construction in Aberdeen for the new Highway 520 floating bridge on Lake Washington at Seattle.
The department says the cracks were found last week after repairs had been made to damage that occurred in May during a process when cables are stretched through the pontoons for strength.
A review panel looking at the problem is expected to suggest repairs in the first week of July. The department still hopes to float the pontoons to Seattle this summer.
A total of 77 pontoons are under construction — 33 of them at Aberdeen and 44 at Tacoma. Anchors are being built in Kenmore.