Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- Seattle Business Owners: $15 Minimum Wage Could Prove 'Possibly Fatal'
- Seattle Artist Turning Centuries-Old Pieces Of Wood Into One-Of-A-Kind Sculptures
News & Music Contributors
Wed November 6, 2013
Murray Defeats McGinn in Seattle Mayor's Race
The leader of Washington state's successful effort to legalize gay marriage is Seattle's next mayor.
Updated election results Wednesday night show state Sen. Ed Murray has 56 percent of the vote.
The campaign of Mayor Mike McGinn had held out hope that later ballots would trend in his favor. While the numbers showed some slight improvement for him Wednesday, he was still losing among those more recent ballots.
Murray and McGinn had largely campaigned with similar policy positions, but they offered contrasting styles of how to lead the Northwest's largest city. Murray's call for a more collaborative approach led him to build a broad range of endorsements and financial support.