Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- Seattle Business Owners: $15 Minimum Wage Could Prove 'Possibly Fatal'
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- This, We Agree, Was The First-Ever Recorded Rock And Roll Song
News & Music Contributors
Thu August 4, 2011
Muslim man fired for wearing a beard sues former employer
A Seattle-area Muslim is suing his former employer because he says he was fired from his job as a security guard for refusing to shave his beard, which he wears for religious reasons.
The man – Abdulkadir Omar – filed his lawsuit on July 15 in California. He plans to speak publicly about the lawsuit on this afternoon along with representatives from the Seattle chapter of the Council for American-Islamic Relations.
Omar says that in November 2009 he was told by a supervisor at American Patriot Security that he had to shave his beard. Omar told the supervisor that his beard is part of his religious beliefs. In April 2010, Omar alleges the CEO of the company told him to shave his beard or else he wouldn't be paid.
A representative from American Patriot Security declined to answer a media call.