Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Muslim man fired for wearing a beard sues former employer
A Seattle-area Muslim is suing his former employer because he says he was fired from his job as a security guard for refusing to shave his beard, which he wears for religious reasons.
The man – Abdulkadir Omar – filed his lawsuit on July 15 in California. He plans to speak publicly about the lawsuit on this afternoon along with representatives from the Seattle chapter of the Council for American-Islamic Relations.
Omar says that in November 2009 he was told by a supervisor at American Patriot Security that he had to shave his beard. Omar told the supervisor that his beard is part of his religious beliefs. In April 2010, Omar alleges the CEO of the company told him to shave his beard or else he wouldn't be paid.
A representative from American Patriot Security declined to answer a media call.