Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- Washington's 'Pot Czar' Says Legal Marijuana Could Be Too Cheap
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- Seattle Artist Turning Centuries-Old Pieces Of Wood Into One-Of-A-Kind Sculptures
News & Music Contributors
Thu May 10, 2012
Obama cheered in Seattle on gay marriage
President Barack witnessed support for his decision to support gay marriage first hand from his motorcade through Seattle Thursday.
He passed a woman holding an infant and a sign that said: "Thank you! Mr. President for standing up for my mommys!"
Obama also drew big cheers from supporters at Seattle's historic Paramount Theater when he said his vision for a better America applies to everyone.
Washington state has passed a law approving same-sex marriage, but opponents in Washington are gathering signatures for a ballot initiative to overturn the law and declare marriage as union of man and woman. In Seattle, Obama expected to collect at least $3 million toward his re-election effort.
On Friday, he will fly to Nevada, where he will call for housing relief in a speech in Reno.