Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- Seattle Business Owners: $15 Minimum Wage Could Prove 'Possibly Fatal'
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- This, We Agree, Was The First-Ever Recorded Rock And Roll Song
News & Music Contributors
Protesting Wall Street
Fri October 28, 2011
Occupy Eugene protestors move to University of Oregon
Occupy Eugene protestors moved from Alton Baker Park to the University of Oregon Thursday. But after hours of negotiations with U of O officials, they're spending the weekend on a grassy strip on the edge of campus.
Occupy Eugene marched to the U of O Thursday and held a rally in the memorial quad.
U of O spokesman Phil Weiler says while the rally was fine, the University did not want protestors to camp in the quad, near classrooms and the library. Representatives of the University and Occupy Eugene negotiated into the evening to come up with a solution.
"Both groups were talking in good faith and the university was able to find an alternative site that met the needs of the movement but also allowed us to continue to provide an environment that was conducive to teaching and research here on the main University campus," Weiler says.
The University is providing an area off the main campus for Occupy Eugene campers to stay. They've set up lighting, toilets and a fenced area for dogs.
This is a temporary solution. The U of O wants Occupy Eugene protestors to move by 8 o'clock Monday morning.
On the Web:
Copyright 2011 KLCC.