Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Listen: Can You Pick Out The Northwest Accent? (And Yes, We Have One!)
- Former Boeing Executive Alan Mulally’s Advice On Labor: 'Working Together Works’
- Tips On Staying Healthy While You Travel
- Just Back From Spain, Nancy Leson Offers A Few Pointers On Paella
- Hugs And Kisses For XO Sauce, The Mommy Of All Umami
News & Music Contributors
Tue November 13, 2012
Oregon's Gold Medalist Eaton Wins Another Honor
Originally published on Tue November 13, 2012 5:03 pm
Eugene-based track star Ashton Eaton already has a world record to his name and a gold medal in decathlon from this year's London Olympics. Monday, the central Oregon native got to add another honor to his crowded shelf. The sport federation USA Track & Field named Eaton as its male athlete of the year.
Still, in a conference call with reporters, Eaton said winning the U.S. Olympic trials in Eugene ranks as the biggest highlight of his year.
"The fact that Oregon is where I'm from -- University of Oregon is kind of where track & field started for me -- to have it be the 100th year anniversary of my event and to have all the past American Olympic medalists there watching, you really just can't get any better than that."
Eaton's next big competition is an international decathlon invitational in Austria next May. He also hopes to compete at the 2013 World Track and Field Championships. Those are in Moscow next summer.
On the Web:
Jess Owens Award Winners (USATF)
Ashton Eaton profile (USATF)
Copyright 2012 Northwest News Network