Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
News & Music Contributors
Thu October 3, 2013
Remembering Oscar; Celebrating Latin Grammys
Oscar Castro Neves 1940-2013
A founding figure in the development of Bossa Nova, Brazilian guitarist, composer and arranger Oscar Castro Neves died on September 27.
He was 73. A star in Brazil from age 16, he moved to the US in 1966 and proceeded to make his mark on American music. He was a delightful conversationalist who loved to laugh, and to make others happy.
I was fortunate enough to share dinner, wine and a wide-ranging discussion of life and music with Oscar and his lovely wife Lorraine a few years ago. Oscar had a way of lighting up the room with his smile. Descanse em paz...
Latin Grammy Nominees for Latin Jazz
The nominees for the Best Latin Jazz Album for the 14th Annual Latin Grammy Awards were announced on September 25:
- What's Up? by Michel Camilo
- ¡Ritmo! by The Clare Fischer Latin Jazz Big Band
- On The Way by Negroni's Trio
- Live In Hollywood by Poncho Sanchez And His Latin Jazz Band
- Border-Free by Chucho Valdés & The Afro-Cuban Messengers
- Grand Piano Live by Chuchito Valdés
The award ceremony will be November 21 in Las Vegas.
Listen for award-winning Latin jazz on Jazz Caliente, Thursdays at 2pm on KPLU's Mid Day Jazz!