Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
Seattle schools to make up 3 snow days
SEATTLE — The Seattle School Board has told the district that classroom instruction is important — and it needs to make up all three days lost to a snowstorm in January.
The Seattle Times reports that Seattle Public Schools will make up the days at the end of the school year. That means the last day will be June 22. Administrators had said they would ask the state for permission to skip two of those days to save about a half million dollars in transportation and nutrition costs.
But the school board overruled that decision in a 7-0 vote Wednesday night. If the School Board had allowed the waiver request to go through, state approval would still have been needed. That decision was expected soon. Parents had complained that losing the instruction days was unfair to kids.