Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- Seattle Business Owners: $15 Minimum Wage Could Prove 'Possibly Fatal'
- Seattle Artist Turning Centuries-Old Pieces Of Wood Into One-Of-A-Kind Sculptures
News & Music Contributors
Mon August 29, 2011
Seattle viaduct to shut down for 9 days in October
SEATTLE — The Transportation Department is holding a news conference Monday in Seattle to announce plans to shut down the Alaskan Way Viaduct for nine days in October.
Crews will demolish a section of the viaduct near Safeco Field and CenturyLink Field and build a detour.
The Seattle Times reports it's part of $3 billion project to replace the aging viaduct. The section of Highway 99 south of downtown will remain above ground, and a tunnel will take a section under downtown Seattle.