Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
Smoke, haze cover central Washington
Originally published on Wed September 12, 2012 3:15 pm
A smoky haze is covering much of central Washington Wednesday. At least four significant wildfires are burning around Wenatchee.
About 150 homes have been evacuated there, along with another 40 near the town of Cashmere. Fire managers have told even more people to be ready to flee.
Traveling through central Washington, our correspondent Austin Jenkins reports, “East of Snoqualmie in the Cle Elum area, it is very smoky here and also quite breezy. As you move further east towards Ellensburg and even south into Yakima, the smoke clears but the skies remain incredibly hazy. The presence of fires in this part of Washington state is unmistakable.”
More than 100 fires started on Saturday after what residents describe as a spectacular lightning storm in central Washington.
Copyright 2012 Northwest News Network