Most Active Stories
- Five things you should know about the proposed marijuana rules
- Daredevil photographer posts photos taken at dizzying heights
- 3 pulled from Skagit River after I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon
- 'Pot-bellied' pig: Local butcher spikes pig feed with weed
- 'Staggering' rate hike under Obamacare no longer likely
News & Music Contributors
SRJO plays Jazz of the Harlem Renaissance on Jazz Northwest
The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra, co-directed by Clarence Acox and Michael Brockman is featured on Jazz Northwest. The program highlights a concert of Jazz of the Harlem Renaissance with guests Meschiya Lake, a New Orleans-based singer of traditional jazz, and narrator Robin Lloyd of KPLU, who describes scenes at the Apollo Ballroom where this music was first heard in the Twenties and Thirties.
The concert was recorded at Kirkland Performance Center on June 17, 2012 utilizing a combination of vintage and modern microphone technique in an attempt to reproduce the acoustic sound of the bands who played the Apollo in Harlem. The Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra's 2012-2013 season begins November 3 and 4 with Branford Marsalis featured in "The Music of New Orleans" including both traditional and modern music of the Crescent City.