Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 'We Don't Know Each Other': Film Explores Tension Between Africans & African Americans
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Report Faults Seattle Schools For 'Lack Of Urgency' In Serving Most Vulnerable Students
News & Music Contributors
Seattle pro sports
Wed May 23, 2012
Study counters Seattle Port's claims against new NBA arena
A study has found that Seattle's SoDo neighborhood can handle the traffic that may come from building a third sports arena in the area.
The study was released Wednesday by the City of Seattle and paid for by Chris Hansen, the developer who wants to build an 18,000-seat facility that could house an NBA and an NHL franchise near where the Mariners and Seahawks play.
The Port of Seattle and the Mariners both say a new stadium could hurt businesses in the area.
However, Hansen's study made the following claims:
- Arena event times generally do not coincide with the regular Port of Seattle container terminal operations
- Day-time arena events would be rare
- Most Port of Seattle operations close at 4:30 pm – this could be extended if growth in container volume occurs
- Arena events start at 7‑7:30 pm
- Majority of event traffic would be on 1st Avenue and roadways to the east
- Majority of Port of Seattle operations are west of 1st Avenue S – Port of Seattle operations are effectively separated from event traffic
- Planned and funded infrastructure improvements would improve Port of Seattle operations
- Atlantic Street overpass provides a new direct connection between the container terminals and rail yards
Last week, the city, King County and Hansen announced a memorandum of understanding laying out the financial responsibilities for the proposed venue. The agreement now goes before the Seattle City Council and King County Council for review.
Seattle Arena Deal
Sports with Art Thiel