Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Central Wash. Home To Nation's Biggest Bitcoin Mine, More Coming
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
War in Afghanistan
Fri January 13, 2012
Tacoma soldier dies in Afghanistan
TACOMA, Wash. — The father of a Tacoma soldier who died in Afghanistan says he died in a training accident.
The Pentagon did not provide details about the death Wednesday of 21-year-old Pfc. Neil I. Turner, saying only on Friday that he died from a non-combat related incident.
He was assigned to a unit from Fort Bliss, Texas — the 1st Battalion, 41st Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division.
The News Tribune reports his parents, Leland Turner and Charlotte Cox-Turner, left Tacoma Thursday for Dover Air Force Base, Del., for the return of his body.
Leland Turner wrote on Facebook that his son died in a training accident.
About 50 friends held a candlelight vigil Thursday night in the neighborhood where the 2008 Lincoln High School graduate grew up.