Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
War in Afghanistan
Tacoma soldier dies in Afghanistan
TACOMA, Wash. — The father of a Tacoma soldier who died in Afghanistan says he died in a training accident.
The Pentagon did not provide details about the death Wednesday of 21-year-old Pfc. Neil I. Turner, saying only on Friday that he died from a non-combat related incident.
He was assigned to a unit from Fort Bliss, Texas — the 1st Battalion, 41st Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division.
The News Tribune reports his parents, Leland Turner and Charlotte Cox-Turner, left Tacoma Thursday for Dover Air Force Base, Del., for the return of his body.
Leland Turner wrote on Facebook that his son died in a training accident.
About 50 friends held a candlelight vigil Thursday night in the neighborhood where the 2008 Lincoln High School graduate grew up.