Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
Taylor Bridge Fire 100 percent contained
CLE ELUM, Wash. – Firefighting officials say a stubborn wildfire that destroyed dozens of homes in central Washington has been completely contained after a two-week fight.
Spokesmen for the Taylor Bridge Fire announced full containment Tuesday evening. The blaze that started Aug. 13 east of Cle Elum has burned more than 36 square miles, or 23,500 acres, about 75 miles east of Seattle.
The number of firefighters has been reduced from hundreds to just 40, who continue work to douse hot spots within the fire perimeter.
Authorities have confirmed 61 homes and 35 outbuildings were destroyed and about seven other properties were damaged.
The fire started near a bridge construction site, though the exact cause remains under investigation.