Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- 5 Reasons Eating Bugs Could Save The World, According To Seattle's Own 'Bug Chef'
News & Music Contributors
Thu April 5, 2012
'Three Cups' author Mortenson mismanaged group
HELENA, Mont. — An investigative report has concluded that "Three Cups of Tea" author Greg Mortenson mismanaged the charity he co-founded to build schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
The Montana Attorney General's office report released Thursday found Mortenson spent Central Asia Institute money on personal items, family vacations and charter flights.
It says Mortenson's control went largely unchallenged by the two other board members.
The yearlong investigation says CAI still has a strong financial outlook, but it needs better oversight so that too much control is not in one person's hands.
A settlement agreement says Mortenson has already been removed as executive director and calls for additional changes to the organization's structure.
It also requires Mortenson to reimburse the charity more than $1 million. He has already repaid nearly half that amount.