Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
Update: 520 toll system fixed after electrical problem
An electrical glitch caused the new toll system on the Highway 520 bridge to malfunction Tuesday morning, meaning drivers crossed the span for hours without being charged.
The state Department of Transportation said there were no tolls charged from about 6:30 a.m. until the problem was fixed, shortly after 12 p.m.
The tolls, which began late last month, are expected to raise about $1 billion toward the $4.7 billion cost of replacing the 49-year-old bridge. The new floating bridge between Seattle and its eastside suburbs is expected to open in 2014.