Most Active Stories
News & Music Contributors
Update: Lions Club convention descends on Seattle streets today
The Lions Clubs International’s 94th International Convention hits Seattle on July 4 through the 8 with the club’s major Parade of Nations taking over downtown this morning and into the afternoon.
King County officials say 20 Seattle bus routes will be changed during the Lions Club's International Parade of Nations, preparations for which have already begun in downtown Seattle.
The parade is scheduled to take place Tuesday along 5th Avenue between Seattle Center and the Washington State Convention Center.
Officials say the transit reroutes will last between 9 a.m. Tuesday until about 3 p.m., and that other transit service and traffic also will likely be delayed during the parade.
The convention will bring upwards of 14,000 attendees from more than 100 countries to Seattle and generate economic impact of approximately $30 million – ranking it among largest conventions in the city during the past 20 years, according to the Seattle’s Convention and Visitors Bureau.
The Washington State Convention Center and Key Arena will serve as the primary and secondary meeting venues.
A highlight of the convention for attendees, Seattleites and visitors is the Parade of Nations planned to run along 5th Avenue between Seattle Center and the Washington State Convention Center on July 5.
Founded in 1917, Lions Clubs International is the world’s largest service club organization with more 1.3 million members in some 45,000 clubs in 206 countries. Since 1968, the Lions Clubs International Foundation has awarded more than $660 million in grants to support Lions humanitarian projects around the world.
Parade Street Closure Information: International Parade of Nations Map
The parade will assemble at the Seattle Center, march down 5th Avenue to Pine Street and the Washington State Convention Center and disperse in the retail district.
- 5th Avenue – closed from 9:45 a.m. until the end of the parade (estimated 2:00 p.m.) between Mercer and Pike ( 5th Ave. from Mercer to Broad closed from 7 a.m. through the duration of the parade).
- Cross streets to 5th Ave. limited to Metro/Sound Transit during parade.
- Pike St. – closed between 4th and 8th Avenues.
- Pine St. – closed between 4th and 7th Avenues.
- 4th Ave. – heavy volumes expected.
- 6th Ave. – partially closed, heavy volumes expected.
- 7th Ave. – partially closed, heavy volumes expected.