Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- UW's MOOC On Public Speaking Proving To Be Massively Popular
- Seattle Business Owners: $15 Minimum Wage Could Prove 'Possibly Fatal'
- UW Professor Traces Growing Income Gap To The Collapse Of Organized Labor
- How To Make Your Own Crème Fraîche — And Why You Should
- No Need To Presoak Beans For This Cheese Rind-Flavored Minestrone Recipe
News & Music Contributors
Tue December 6, 2011
Vancouver, Wash., council bans tobacco in city parks
VANCOUVER, Wash. — The Vancouver City Council voted Monday to ban tobacco from city parks and recreation centers.
The council heard from at least one speaker who called the ban a form of discrimination.
The council also debated whether to include smokeless tobacco in the ban. It did.
Council member Jeanne Harris said, "It's not about rights or discrimination. It's about health."
The Columbian reports the tobacco ban takes effect in 30 days.