Most Active Stories
- Public Party Planned for One-Year Anniversary of Legal Pot
- ‘Can We Buy a Little Less and Share a Little More?’
- Mass: Bundle Up! Worst of the Cold Snap to Arrive this Weekend
- St. Louis Machinists President: Keep 777X in Washington
- Join Us for the 17th Annual KPLU Christmas Jam Holiday Concert and Live Broadcast
News & Music Contributors
Vancouver, Wash., council bans tobacco in city parks
VANCOUVER, Wash. — The Vancouver City Council voted Monday to ban tobacco from city parks and recreation centers.
The council heard from at least one speaker who called the ban a form of discrimination.
The council also debated whether to include smokeless tobacco in the ban. It did.
Council member Jeanne Harris said, "It's not about rights or discrimination. It's about health."
The Columbian reports the tobacco ban takes effect in 30 days.