Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's What The Big I-90 Closure Will Look Like. How Will You Survive?
- Study Finds MRSA 'Superbug' Lurking At Washington Firehouses
- Report Shows Coal, Oil Trains Would Quadruple Rail Traffic, Alarming Lawmakers
- When A Bomb Goes Off During Your Study On Trauma: New UW Findings On PTSD
- Why Seattle Homeless Advocates Feel Vacant Downtown Building Is Rightfully Theirs
News & Music Contributors
Tue December 6, 2011
Vancouver, Wash., council bans tobacco in city parks
VANCOUVER, Wash. — The Vancouver City Council voted Monday to ban tobacco from city parks and recreation centers.
The council heard from at least one speaker who called the ban a form of discrimination.
The council also debated whether to include smokeless tobacco in the ban. It did.
Council member Jeanne Harris said, "It's not about rights or discrimination. It's about health."
The Columbian reports the tobacco ban takes effect in 30 days.