Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Grieving Widow Helps Spearhead First-Of-Its-Kind State Law On Suicide Prevention
- Central Wash. Home To Nation's Biggest Bitcoin Mine, More Coming
- Everything You Need To Know About Woodland Park Zoo's Precious Doo
- Seattle-Area Skygazers May See Glimpse Of 'Blood Moon' — If They're Persistent
- TurboTax Offers Taxpayers Option Of Getting Refund In Amazon Gift Card
News & Music Contributors
Wed May 11, 2011
Wednesday morning's headlines
Making headlines around the Northwest:
- Former P-I Journalist Deported to Iran
- 16 new charges in 'Barefoot Bandit' case
- Two Children's Hospital Nurses Accused of Unprofessional Conduct
- Family Files Suit in Death of Teen at Ft. Lewis
Al-Jazeera and Former Seattle Journalist Deported to Iran
A journalist and formal editorial writer for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer has been deported to Iran after being detained in Syria, the Al Jazeera news service is reporting.
Dorothy Parvaz has been missing since she arrived in Damascus on April 29. Parvaz was working as a journalist for the Al Jazeera English network.
Syrian officials had previously told Al Jazeera the 39-year-old was being temporarily held in Damascus and would be released.
"We have now received information that she is being held in Tehran," an Al Jazeera spokesman said in a statement on Wednesday.
Parvaz, a citizen of the United States, Canada and Iran, used her Iranian passport to enter Syria.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Syrian embassy in Washington DC said Parvaz had attempted to enter Syria illegally on an expired Iranian visa and had been subsequently extradited to Iran.
Parvaz’s family has also called for the journalist to be released.
"Dorothy is a dearly loved daughter, sister and fiancée, and a committed journalist,” they said in a statement. "It is now nearly two weeks since she was detained. We appeal once again for Dorothy to be released immediately and returned to us."
San Juan County Files 16 More Charges Against Colton Harris-Moore
Prosecutors in the San Juan Islands have filed 16 additional theft and burglary charges in the "Barefoot Bandit" case.
That brings to 17 the number of charges that Colton Harris-Moore faces in the archipelago stemming from a two-year crime spree that ended with his arrest in the Bahamas last summer.
San Juan County Prosecutor Randall Gaylord tells The Associated Press he filed the charges Tuesday as plea negotiations with Harris-Moore's attorneys progress. He is expected to reach plea deals by month's end that would resolve federal and state charges in several jurisdictions. The charges involve plane, boat and car thefts as well as numerous burglaries.
The new charging documents describe how authorities found bare footprints, fingerprints and DNA at many San Juan locations.They say the young man taunted one sheriff's deputy who chased him by calling out, "You can't catch me."
The now-20-year-old gained a popular Internet following during his run from the law.
Two Nurses Charged With Unprofessional Conduct
Washington nursing license officials say two nurses at Seattle Children's Hospital have been accused of unprofessional conduct in separate medication errors, reports the Seattle Times' Carol Ostrom.
In one case, the Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission says a nurse on a transport team gave medications to a critically ill newborn without a proper doctor's order. The state says the nurse falsely documented that she had a verbal order from the doctor.
The King County medical examiner's office says the baby died from natural causes.
The other nurse gave a medication intravenously instead of by muscle to an adult who came to the emergency room in respiratory distress. The nurse told investigators the man's doctor told her to give it that way. She says she noted the drug label said it should be given into a muscle but gave the drug intravenously anyway.
The nursing commission says the nurse failed to notify the doctor that the order conflicted with label directions. That man developed an arrhythmia but recovered.
The unidentified nurses have 20 days to respond.
Family of Girl Who Fatally OD'd at Ft. Lewis Sues Army, Security Firm
The family of a 16-year-old girl who fatally overdosed on drugs in a soldier's room at Joint Base Lewis-McChord is suing the Army and a security contractor. The News Tribune reports that in the federal suit filed Monday in Tacoma, the family of Leah King is seeking $10 million.
The soldier, Timothy Bennitt, was convicted at a court martial last year of drug and manslaughter charges and is serving a six-year sentence.