Most Active Stories
- Mystery man revealed : The daredevil behind the lens
- Skagit Valley eatery goes for the laughs to attract business
- Watch: Seattle Public Library tries to break record for longest book-domino chain
- North Cascades Nat'l Park named one of 10 'hidden gems' in U.S.
- Epiphany! Make an iceberg-blue cheese layer cake
News & Music Contributors
Wheat growers excluded from Spokane parade
SPOKANE, Wash. — Wheat may be king in the Palouse region, but don't look for its float at Spokane's annual Lilac Festival Parade.
Organizers of the parade told the Washington Association of Wheat Growers that their policies prohibit lobbying groups. That means the growers won't be able to drive a massive red tractor pulling a group of wheat farming families.
Parade organizers told The Spokesman Review that allowing lobbying groups would turn the parade into a political event. But wheat farmers say they are disappointed by the decision.